SAWDIS Share Buttons

SAWDIS Share Buttons:

19 October 2011

Thembalethu Crèche burned down during riot


GEORGE NEWS - More than 50 children had to be evacuated from a crèche after it caught fire during last week’s riot in Thembalethu.

The Ethembeni Daycare Centre is situated right next to the municipal area office which was allegedly set alight by a petrol bomb.

The centre provides daycare for 25 toddlers and 30 disabled children from the area.

Mr Prince Mqokrwana from Ethembeni said this week that all three the classrooms they used were destroyed in the fire.
Some of the children were still there when the building caught fire. They had to make several trips to a nearby house to get all the children to safety.

All of their furniture such as cots, mattresses, a fridge, cabinets and desks, first aid kits, blankets, educational toys, wheelchairs and kiddies chairs were destroyed.

The municipality’s area office was also destroyed in the fire.

Mr Barend Nelson of the George Fire Brigade says they tried to get to the crèche to put out the fire, but they were bombarded with stones. They turned back when they heard that all the children were safe.

- George Herald