SAWDIS Share Buttons

SAWDIS Share Buttons:

02 August 2011

Norway attacks: 200 tell what they saw


Image: An injured man is attended to at the site of a powerful explosion that rocked central Oslo.

Police have interviewed about 200 witnesses during the investigation into the July 22 attacks in Norway that claimed 77

lives, a prosecutor said on Monday.

Electronic devices including mobile phones, PCs and cameras used by people who attended a Labour Party youth camp on the island of Utoya -where 69 people died in the day's shooting spree - were considered as evidence, prosecutor Pal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby told reporters.

Police planned Tuesday to start a clean-up on Utoya and begin to return personal belongings to survivors and next of kin.

Electronic devices were exempt since they could contain images or other information investigators hope could help track the movements of the Norwegian man suspected of the killings.

Anders Behring Breivik was last week remanded in custody on suspicion of the shooting spree, which was preceded by a car bomb in Oslo that killed eight people. -

Sapa-dpa-IOL