SAWDIS Share Buttons

SAWDIS Share Buttons:

13 July 2011

Heater might be behind fatal family fire

Johannesburg - A heater might have caused the fire that killed a family in their house in Ormonde on Wednesday morning, Gauteng police said.

"According to information from the fire brigade it was a heater that caused the fire, but forensic investigators are still working that out," said police spokesperson Lorraine van Emmerik.

Johannesburg Emergency Services spokesperson Synock Matobako said the family, which includes four children, was found dead in the kitchen of the 2-bedroom house.

"Indications are that the children and their 31-year-old mother were trying to escape when they were engulfed by flames in the kitchen."

The children, two girls and two boys, were aged 2, 3, 4 as well as a 6-month-old baby.

Emergency services were alerted after neighbours noticed the blaze.

The Star reported that the father and husband, Naeem Deedat, heard his wife screaming in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

She had gone to investigate a burning smell coming from one of the children's rooms.

Deedat said a bar-heater had ignited and he tried to douse the fire with a bucket filled with water from the bathroom. It was unclear where the family was during this time.

Deedat then went into his bedroom where a neighbour sawed through the metal bars on the window and he was rescued.

- SAPA/News24