SAWDIS Share Buttons

SAWDIS Share Buttons:

10 July 2011

Fire rips through home for the elderly in Ukraine

A fire tore through a home for the elderly in western Ukraine Sunday, killing 16 people, officials said. The Emergencies Ministry said in a statement that 11 others were injured in the fire in the village of Bile, in the Rovno region, some 300 kilometers (180 miles) west of the capital Kiev. There were 25 residents and two staff members in the wood-and-concrete building when the fire broke out shortly after midnight, the ministry said. Firefighters battled the blaze for about five hours before it was extinguished. All the injured suffered carbon-monoxide poisoning, and three are in serious condition, the ministry said. The cause of the fire has not been determined. Photographs posted on the Minstry's website showed thick white smoke engulfing the single-story building as firefighters clad in protective suits and helmets battled the fire with hoses. - RSOE